So it's been a while, I've been working diligently with no finished projects to show. I finished the fringe on the red scarf and promptly mailed it without remembering to take photos. I also have some updates on a secret baby gift that cannot be discussed until a later date.
The main thing taking up my slim slice of knitting time is my first pair of socks - a Valentine's gift for Mike. He wanted "bruise-colored" socks, so here they are. I like to think of them as red, but some may say they're a bit pink. Obviously, they are not done yet.
These socks have definitely been a learning experience.
1. Don't decide to make your first pair of socks for the person you know who has the biggest feet - they take a long time.
2. Even though I used a pattern where you custom design the socks to fit the person's foot size based on carefully collected measurements, somehow things were a bit off from the start. Two inches in, when he tried them on, the circumference was too wide. I decreased a few stitches and went on.
3. Then after I finished the whole sock, we discovered the footbed is too long. Too long! Size 14! I'm hoping this problem may straighten itself out with some washing and drying action, otherwise I'm going to have to learn even more techniques to fix it.
4. Last, my original bind off was too small around the cuff and made it hard to get the sock on and off, so I undid that good work and redid it with a stretchier bind off. Phew.
Closing in on the finish line! So many things lined up ahead...